Interior renovation of an existing commercial building or space. 


Permits are obtained by submitting an electronic application on the Permit Portal


The following steps must be followed when using the Permit Portal:

  1. Create a New Account (click on the Login or Register button) or if you already have an account (sign In through this button). Note: For new account registration: After new account is approved, an email will be sent from [email protected] to the applicant with further registration instructions. 
  2. After you sign on, click on the Permit button.
  3. Find the permit that you are looking for and click on the Apply blue button to start the process.
  4. Fill in all information leaving no blanks.


The following permit applications are required when submitting plans for a tenant fit up:

A.Commercial Tenant Fit Up Permit Application 

B. Use and Occupancy Permit Application  (Please note that a separate application shall be submitted online at the same time as the tenant fit up permit application. Further, a letter from the property owner stating that they give permission for the building to be used for the proposed use must be attached and uploaded with the application. The letter must include the address of the property, include the property owners name, mailing address, phone number and email address, and be signed by the property owner.)

C. Commercial Electrical Permit Application (Usually applied for separately by Electrician)

D. Commercial Mechanical Permit Application  (If HVAC Units are being replaced)

E. City of Laurel Burglar Alarm Application (If business has a burglar alarm, this application is required)


Please Note: A single PDF of the building plans (inclulding a floor plan of the proposed space) signed and sealed by an architect or engineer licensed in the State of Maryland shall be submitted via the online permit portal. Plans submitted not in one single PDF document will be rejected and will not reviewed until submitted properly. Paper sets of drawings are no longer accepted. 


Note: 1. If the building will be used for a restaurant or a business selling any type of food, install of a public pool, or nursing home facility-- the applicant must submit plans to Prince George’s County Health Department for approval. (Copy of Use and Occupancy Permit is faxed to the County by this office) 2. The applicant is responsible for submitting plans and permit applications for plumbing directly to Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC). The City does not review or inspect plumbing work.

Permit Category

Building and Development

Fire Marshal & Permit Services

The Department of the Fire Marshal and Permit Services (FMPS) is divided into two Divisions who are responsible for the management and enforcement of the City’s codes and ordinances as it relates to wide range of areas, to include building and property standards, fire and life safety standards, rental housing licenses and permitting services.