Streets in the Laurel area are under the control of many jurisdictions: Maryland State Highway Administration, the City of Laurel, Prince George's County and neighboring Howard and Anne Arundel Counties. Additionally, some roads are privately owned and maintained by condominium associations, shopping centers, businesses, and apartments.

Pothole Repairs

Street Repair

Public Works crews routinely make permanent repairs to small and minor pavement failures during the warmer months of the year. During the winter, temporary "cold patch" repairs are made. To request street repairs or report hazardous pot holes, please click here or call us at 301-725-0088.

Pavement Markings


Crosswalks, center line marking and other pavement markings are maintained by the City. To request this service or to report worn out pavement markings, please click here or call us at 301-725-0088 or send e-mail to [email protected].


Street Signs

Public Works crews install and replace street identification, parking and traffic signs. The City will also provide and install, at cost, signs for privately owned and maintained roads.  If you become aware of any street signs that have been damaged, removed, or are not easily visible please report them by clicking here.

Alley Maintenance


Some of the alleys in the City are private and some are public. Most are paved only with stone. If your alley needs maintenance or you have questions about its ownership, give us a call.


Street Construction

Road Construction

We usually hire contractors to build new streets, make major repairs, and to reconstruct old streets. Such projects are usually planned and financed on a multi-year basis. Planning and managing these projects is handled by the Department of Public Works. If you would like more information, please call the Department at 301-725-0088.


Street Cleaning

street cleaning

Street cleaning is performed by Public Works crews and the City's Street sweeper. All city streets are cleaned on a weekly schedule except during the winter. To report unusual accumulations or dirt, please call us.


Utility Work


Street excavations and patches are made by many public agencies and utility companies. If you should have questions or complaints about utility or road work, please call us. We need your help, to make sure all work on City streets is done properly.


Lamp ID
Locate the yellow pole tag for reporting street lights.

Street Lights

Streets lights in the City are provided through a contract with the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company. The City's street light system includes all City owned streets and County roads within the City's boundaries. Please call Baltimore Gas and Electric at 1-800-685-0123 or click here to report any street lights which are damaged or not working.  All you need is the closest address and the street light pole number.  If you would like to request a street light installation please contact us.


Private Street Lights

The City cannot provide lighting on private roads and parking lots. However, the City does require builders of residential and large commercial developments to provide outdoor lighting meeting the City's standards.

Questions or Comments

If you need any additional information or have any questions or comments, please call us at 301-725-0088 or you may e-mail us at [email protected].

Public Works Logo

Public Works

The Department of Public Works provides refuse and recycling collection, city infrastructure management and maintenance, snow and ice removal, and quick and effective responses to inclement weather damage.